Questions & Answers

How does a trustee add a business to a irrevocable trust?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: To begin I am a trustee to a irrevocable trust, which the grantor set up to transfer a couple of homes he owns. Now the trust says the trustee can buy and add property to the same trust for the benefit of the grantor. The trust grantor has come across a dirt cheap small business for sale (due to covid-19) which the grantor thinks would be a great investment opportunity, so he would like

Read More »

Can a lawyer in Georgia assist me with a partition case for a home/property located in Florida?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I am 68. I built a home in Fl. in 2005 where I intended to reside with my son & his wife for the remainder of my life. Shortly after the home was completed, the relationship between myself & my daughter-in-law devolved into an untenable situation. I reluctantly moved out of the home in 2007 to live with my niece due to the stress/anxiety I was being subjected to. Since then, I have lived

Read More »

Me and my dad were caregivers to my sick grandmother and she passed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Me and my dad gave care and lived in this home for many years, she was the landlord and owned everything. She has now passed and the family wants to evict us to claim their part of the will. We are all related. We are paying the bills just fine with no problems but the only problem is that they want us out so they can sell the house for money. This is my

Read More »

How to obtain power of attorney on a person hospital has marked incompetent.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Father in-law has just been deemed in competent by the veterans hospital but has no power of attorney over his asset. His wife was able to give power of attorney on his medical aspect but it was stated that she is unable to give power of attorney over his bank accounts and other assets since her name is not on the paper work.So my question is how would we be able to obtain control

Read More »

10 Questions To Help You Create Your Will

Creating a will not at the top of your to-do-list? Maybe it should be! Creating an estate plan is one way to ensure your family is taken care of, and your wishes are carried out in the future. Having a will isn’t just for the uber-rich or elderly. In fact, everyone should have a will regardless of your marital status, age, or the size of one’s estate. When writing out your will, many considerations need to

Read More »

Can I get sued for moving out of my guardians house after being under guardianship for 18 years?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: When I was 18 months old I was put under my grandparents care under guardianship and now that I am 18 some drama happened and my grandmother told me I have to live with my unfit mother or Oma, and my grandmother says she will take me to court if I try to move out with a friend of mine. ANSWER BY MARGARET CROSS-BELIVEAU: A guardianship ends when you turn 18 and you are

Read More »

How do we legally change a Power of Attorney and Health Care Proxy?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: We want to designate a different person to execute our money and carry out our health wishes. ANSWER BY MARGARET CROSS-BELIVEAU: You will need to execute a new Durable Power of Attorney and a new Health Care Proxy. You will also need to notify in writing the person whom you replaced that he/she is no longer your fiduciary and any copy of the old documents are no longer valid. Follow us on Facebook Follow

Read More »

In the state of Florida, does the person named in power of attorney have to be a Florida resident?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I have no relatives here. My sister lives in VA and she is the person I would like to name. ANSWER BY MARGARET CROSS-BELIVEAU: No, your agent does not have to live in the same state as you. If possible, also try to appoint an alternate to your sister. Follow us on Facebook Follow us on LinkedIn Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied

Read More »

My elderly disabled father has been taken advantage of financially by his tenant/repair man for about $20k. What can be done?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: My father is in his 70’s, in bad health, physically disabled, with somewhat impaired cognition. He recently hired his tenant do repairs on the property. The tenant has not finished most of the repairs, has taken advantage of my father’s memory by charging him multiple times for the same service, and has sent my father massive bills for services not related to the repairs. The tenant had my father write the checks out to

Read More »
Call Now Button
Email us now
close slider