Unfortunately, once you gift your assets away, you can’t force the recipient to return it.   If you take a reverse mortgage, the amount due on your death may not leave much for your son to inherit, so he may not be motivated to return it to you.  The only way to obtain the reverse mortgage is for your son to cooperate with you.