If 2 parties were named trustees of an irrevocable trust, do we apply for the EIN with 2 responsible parties?

My parents set up an irrevocable trust with my brother and I as Trustees. We have to open a trust bank account and therefore need to apply for and EIN to open the account. Does the application for EIN allow for designation of 2 trustee and both social security numbers? We only need the EIN and account to distribute a small life insurance policy which will be made the trust. The insurance check will be deposited and then quickly disbursed as designated by the trust, so I don’t believe there should be any income tax that would be due.


The online application only asks for one person to be a responsible party. Make sure to apply through irs.gov. It is a free application. If you use another company to do the application, there will be a charge.

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on LinkedIn

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The estate administration and estate planning attorneys at the Beliveau Law Group provide legal services for estate planning, probate, estate administration, and trust administration. The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Waltham, Massachusetts; and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider