Our 21 year old daughter was diagnosed with serious pancreatitis.


She refused medical treatment and was told that doing so could result in death. She is not suicidal, but if she continues her current course she could die. Is there any legal way to compel her to medical treatment?


Your daughter is an adult and has a right to make her own medical decisions. The only way for you to make medical decisions for her is if she is incompetent. Then, you can petition the court to be appointed her guardian/conservator.

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The family law attorneys at the Beliveau Law Group provide legal services for probate, estate administration, and trust administration. The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Waltham, Massachusetts; and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider