Can I file an Affidavit of Indigency to waive a probate of will fee?


I had to probate a will using an MPC-170 form (Voluntary Administration Statement) and there was $115.00 fee, which I just couldn’t afford to pay, not without depriving myself of the necessities food, clothing, shelter, or paying related bills. The clerk specifically said that I could not file an Affidavit of Indigency for probating a will and could not waive the fee. I had no choice, I had to pay the fee. Now I have to decide what I’m going to do without this month, which bill I’m not going to pay. Is this right or am I being screwed over here?


There is no waiving of the probate fee for indigency. The good news is that under a Voluntary Administration, you should be appointed as personal representative within a couple of weeks. You are entitled to reimburse yourself for the expenses.

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The estate administration attorneys at the Beliveau Law Group provides legal services for probate, estate administration, and trust administration. The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Waltham, Massachusetts; and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider