It’s tax filing deadline time

Monday, April 15, is the deadline for filing certain returns and taking certain tax-related actions. Here are the major deadlines.

  • Filing 2012 income tax returns for individuals. If you cannot file your return by this deadline, be sure to file an extension request by April 15. The automatic extension (you don’t need to explain to the IRS why you need more time) gives you until October 15, 2013, to file your return. An extension does not, generally, give you more time to pay taxes you still owe. To avoid penalty and interest charges, taxes must be paid by April 15.
  • Filing 2012 partnership returns for calendar-year partnerships.
  • Filing 2012 income tax returns for calendar-year trusts and estates.
  • Filing 2012 annual gift tax returns.
  • Making 2012 IRA contributions.
  • Paying the first quarterly estimate of 2013 individual estimated tax.
  • Amending 2009 individual tax returns (unless the 2009 return had a filing extension).
  • Original filing of 2009 individual income tax return to claim a refund of taxes. Some taxpayers have tax refunds due them for prior years, and unless a return is filed to claim the refund by the three-year statute of limitations, the refund is lost forever.
Email us now
close slider