What are my rights as an owner of a remainder interest?


My dad gifted me his house but reserving a life estate.  Can he rent the house or call the police on me to leave the home?


Yes. Life tenant has reserved the right to live there and the proceeds of income of the property until his death. Unless his actions are negatively effecting the value of the real estate, you don’t have authority over the property.

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on LinkedIn

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The estate planning attorneys at the Beliveau Law Group provide legal services for estate and asset protection planning. The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Waltham, Massachusetts; and Salem, New Hampshire.


Email us now
close slider