How can I obtain power of attorney over my sister that is unable to sign?


My sister is in a nursing home at the age of 41 she has liver damage and has dementia and she can not make decisions on her own anymore and can not take care of herself. I have been helping her and making decisions for her but need power of attorney to make every decision and to be able to help her more


Since your sister is no longer competent, she does not have to ability to appoint you as her agent under a durable power of attorney any more.  You will need to file for a conservatorship/guardianship in the probate court

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on LinkedIn

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The estate planning attorneys at the Beliveau Law Group provide legal services for estate and asset protection planning. The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Waltham, Massachusetts; and Salem, New Hampshire.


Email us now
close slider