How should I disperse savings of a deceased sibling of whom I was the guardian


My brother passed away recently I was his Guardian he has money in the bank with my name as representative what should I do with the money he told me to split it up amongst the siblings and Dad can I do this legally


Your representative payee and guardian status ended upon your brother’s death. The bank account will need to be probated. The assets will be distributed according to your brother’s will, if he had one, otherwise it will be governed by the state’s intestacy statute.

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The estate administration attorneys at the Beliveau Law Group provides legal services for probate, estate administration, and trust administration. The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Waltham, Massachusetts; and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider