What are my rights for my mom estate? She passed away and there are 10 other slibing beside myself.

Additional Information:

What are my right since my mother pass away and there are 10 other siblings involved concerning our mother house and any money that she may have left behind after her final expense has been taking care of?


First, you need to determine which assets will need to be probated.  Any assets which were owned by your mother jointly with another person or had a beneficiary designation on them will pass directly to the joint owner or beneficiary.
Second, if any asset was solely owned by your mother, the asset will need to be probated.  That means that paperwork will need to be filed with the Probate Court.  You will need to look for a Last Will and Testament. The Will controls who inherits what asset.  If there is no Will, the property will pass under the law of intestacy, which is laid out by state law.

Margaret L. Cross-Beliveau, Esq., LL.M.

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.

The Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The attorneys at The Beliveau Law Group provides legal services for estate planning (wills and trusts), Medicaid (planning and applications), probate (estate and trust administration), business law (formation and operation), real estate (residential and commercial), taxation (federal and state), and civil litigation (in connection with these practice areas). The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida; Boca Raton, Florida; Danvers, Massachusetts; Waltham, Massachusetts; Quincy, Massachusetts; Manchester, New Hampshire and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider