My father’s home has been in my name for the past 10yrs. He’s 70 and wants me to put his house back into his name.

Additional Information:

I told him that I didn’t think it’s a good idea, but he refuses to listen. Any suggestions of what to tell my dad.


I suggest that you and your father consult with an elder law attorney in your area. (You can visit the website for the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys’ website to obtain elder law attorneys in your area.)  By transferring the home to you ten years ago, the disqualification period for long term care planning has expired and thus the transfer will not be held against him in the event he enters a nursing home. He apparently has developed concerns over your outright ownership of the property. An elder law attorney may be able to broker a compromise between you. One option that may be possible is that you could create a trust for your father and transfer the home to the trust.

The Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The attorneys at The Beliveau Law Group provides legal services for estate planning (wills and trusts), Medicaid (planning and applications), probate (estate and trust administration), business law (formation and operation), real estate (residential and commercial), taxation (federal and state), and civil litigation (in connection with these practice areas). The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida, Waltham, Massachusetts, and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider