Question about filing an LLC

Additional  Information:

If I start an LLC, and the only employee currently is me, should I file it in MA or a different state?


You would not be an employee of your LLC. Instead, you would be a member of your LLC. You would report your LLC’s activity on Schedule C with IRS Form 1040 (assuming you will be the sole owner of the entity). All of your gross profit would be subject to self employment tax. If your are going to do business (as an operarting business) in Massachusetts, it makes sense for you to establish your business in Massachusetts. You may want to consider establishing your business as an S corporation (assuming you are a US citizen). By doing so, you would have to prepare and file annually IRS Form 1120S. You would have to pay Massachusetts annually $456. However, you would be able to massage (minimize) the self employment tax. You may want to consult with a combination attorney/CPA.

The Beliveau Law Group: Massachusetts | Florida | New Hampshire

The attorneys at The Beliveau Law Group provides legal services for estate planning (wills and trusts), Medicaid (planning and applications), probate (estate and trust administration), business law (formation and operation), real estate (residential and commercial), taxation (federal and state), and civil litigation (in connection with these practice areas). The law firm has offices and attorneys in Naples, Florida, Waltham, Massachusetts, and Salem, New Hampshire.

Email us now
close slider