Take steps to build a better business

Business owners focus a lot of attention on building better products. When their products are hot, the company does well, despite other shortcomings. Certainly, new and better products are essential, but focusing on building a better business – one that readily adapts to change and quickly responds to crisis may be even more important. How can you build a better business? Consider the following strategies.

  • Manage capital needs. Growing businesses have an appetite for capital. Two ideas for managing capital are outsourcing some processes and managing existing capacity more effectively.
  • Identify the right product and customer mix. Having the products customers want at the time they want them and in the number, color, location, and quantity they need, is a challenge. Get continuous feedback from customers to help you get your mix just right. [Read more…]

Consider better ways to use your tax refund

What are you going to do with your federal income tax refund this year? Instead of spending the money on things you don’t really need – like a bigger flat screen TV or the latest smart phone – you might put a sizeable refund to better use. Here are a few suggestions.

  1. Pay down debt. Improve your overall financial situation by reducing the amount of any outstanding debts beginning with high-interest rate credit card balances.
  2. Contribute to an IRA. For 2012, you can contribute up to $5,000 ($6,000 if you’re age 50 or over) to any combination of traditional and Roth IRAs. Contributions to a traditional IRA may be wholly or partially tax-deductible, while Roth IRAs can provide tax-free payouts in the future. [Read more…]

IRS expands “Fresh Start” program for those who owe taxes

Taxpayers who are struggling to pay their taxes may get some relief from the IRS’s expansion of its “Fresh Start” initiative, a program started back in 2008. The new Fresh Start provisions provide penalty relief to the unemployed and make installment agreements on taxes owed available to more people.

Normally, a failure-to-pay penalty of one-half of one percent per month, up to a 25% maximum, is charged for overdue taxes. The “Fresh Start Penalty Relief” initiative gives eligible taxpayers a six-month extension to fully pay 2011 taxes – that is, until October 15, 2012, before the penalty begins to apply. Interest of 3% will still be assessed starting from April 17, 2012. [Read more…]

April 17 is a red letter day in the tax world

Tuesday, April 17, is the deadline for filing certain returns and taking certain tax-related actions. Here are the major deadlines.

  • Filing 2011 income tax returns for individuals. If you cannot file your return by this deadline, be sure to file an extension request by April 17. The automatic extension (you don’t need to explain to the IRS why you need more time) gives you until October 15, 2012, to file your return. An extension does not, generally, give you more time to pay taxes you still owe. To avoid penalty and interest charges, taxes must be paid by April 17. (See article below for penalty relief available to qualifying taxpayers.)
  • Filing 2011 partnership returns for calendar-year partnerships. [Read more…]

‘Joint will’ couldn’t be modified later

Jerome and Sandra Murray signed a “joint will” in 1993. It provided that if one of them died, the other would inherit all the property. It also said that the will couldn’t be modified unless they both agreed to any changes.

Unfortunately, the couple divorced in 2001. In the divorce settlement, Sandra received a condo in New York.

In 2006, she put the condo into a trust. The trust document said that if she died, the trust property would be distributed in whatever way she provided in her will. Since the joint will said nothing about the trust, Sandra wrote a new will. The new will said it wasn’t intended to change anything in the joint will, but added that when she died, the trust property would be given to her children. [Read more…]

Many older powers of attorney and health care proxies should be reviewed

Many power of attorney and health care proxy documents that were created years ago should be revised now as a result of a federal medical privacy law.

The law, known as HIPAA, generally prevents health care providers from disclosing your personal medical information to anyone but you and someone you’ve named as your “personal representative.”

Medical privacy may be a good thing – but the law can create complications. [Read more…]

How to avoid taxes when giving away hard-to-value assets

As part of their estate planning, many people want to give away property during their lifetime in order to reduce the size of their taxable estate.

In general, you can give $13,000 a year to anyone you like without having to pay gift tax, and you can make additional gifts over this limit, over the course of your lifetime, up to the amount of your gift tax exemption (although these larger gifts will reduce your estate’s exemption when you eventually pass away). Plus, you can give an unlimited amount to a spouse or charity.

One problem with making gifts for tax purposes is that some types of assets are hard to value. In particular, certain types of real estate, interests in a partnership, and stock in a family-owned business can be very difficult things on which to place a price tag. [Read more…]

Moving? It’s time to update your estate plan

If you’re moving (or considering moving) to another state, it’s a good time to update your estate planning.

Of course, your estate plan should be updated any time you make a major change, such as buying or selling real estate. But even if you’re not buying or selling anything, it’s wise to review your estate plan when you move because different states have different laws about how estate documents are interpreted.

For instance, New Yorker Rosanne McGathy wrote a will in 1997. She moved to Arizona in 2005, and she passed away several years later. Her will made specific bequests to several trusts for relatives, and left the remainder of her estate to some other relatives and charities. McGathy had other assets that went to people outside the will, including a home she co-owned, a life insurance policy, and an annuity. [Read more…]

New estate tax law affects widows and widowers who remarry

Widows and widowers who are considering remarriage should be aware that a new federal tax law could potentially make a huge difference in how much of their assets they are able to leave to their heirs after taxes.

In general, anyone who is considering remarriage later in life should talk to an estate planner first in order to avoid possible tax problems. But this new law gives added urgency to this rule, because it potentially could result in huge additional taxes – or tax savings – and planning for this possibility is essential. [Read more…]

The Purchase and Sale of Real Estate


Business Formation – How Should You Establish Your Business?

Applying for Medicaid

Purchase and Sale of a Business

Protecting Your Assets from the Nursing Home

Is your small business overlooking this tax credit?

Health care legislation passed in 2010 included a tax credit for small businesses that provide health care coverage for their employees. Recent surveys have shown that the majority of small companies that might qualify for the credit have failed to take it. The reasons given for ignoring the credit ranged from being unaware of it to finding the credit too complicated to compute.

* Take another look. If your business or nonprofit organization might be eligible, perhaps you should take another look at the requirements and be sure you’re taking advantage of this tax break. [Read more…]

IRS reopens disclosure program

To encourage taxpayers with offshore accounts to get current with their tax obligations, the IRS has reopened its “offshore voluntary disclosure program (OVDP).” Similar programs in 2009 and 2011 resulted in the collection of more than $4.4 billion of taxes owed.

The 2012 program will be similar to the 2011 program; however, one difference is that there is currently no deadline by which taxpayers must apply.

New foreign investment reporting requirement

If you own foreign investments, you may have an additional federal tax filing requirement this year. Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets, is due April 17, 2012, and is filed as part of your individual tax return. You’ll use Form 8938 to disclose interests in certain foreign financial accounts when your ownership exceeds the reporting requirements.

What are the reporting requirements? They vary depending on where you live and your filing status. For example, say you’re married and live in the United States, and you’ll file a joint tax return for 2011. You’ll include Form 8938 with your tax return when the total value of your reportable assets on the last day of 2011 was more than $100,000, or if the value exceeded $150,000 at any time during the year ($50,000 and $75,000 for singles). [Read more…]

Payroll tax cut extended through 2012

Congress passed an extension of the 2% payroll tax cut that had been scheduled to expire at the end of February. The extension means 160 million working Americans will continue to pay social security tax on their wages at a 4.2% rate for the rest of 2012, rather than at a 6.2% rate.

Because Republicans and Democrats were unable to agree on how to pay for the extended tax cut, the law included no spending cuts to offset the estimated $93 billion cost of this provision.

The law also provides for long-term federal unemployment benefits, setting the maximum at 73 weeks in states with the worst unemployment and 63 weeks for other states. [Read more…]

Major tax deadlines for March

* March 1 – Farmers and fishermen who did not make 2011 estimated tax payments must file 2011 tax returns and pay taxes in full.

* March 15 – 2011 calendar-year corporation income tax returns are due.

* March 15 – Deadline for calendar-year corporations to elect S status for 2012.